Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Welcome to a guest post by author Nancy S. Thompson

BLURB: Tyler Karras is an honest man, a transplanted Brit living the American dream, but his charmed life takes an unexpected turn when his brother, Nick, is coerced into joining ranks with San Francisco’s Russian mafia.  Ty intervenes to secure Nick’s freedom, yet only succeeds in incurring their wrath.  With no choice but to accept Nick’s new life, Ty returns to his own, but his dreams are dashed when his wife—pregnant with their first child—is killed, the victim of a reckless crime. Despondent and bitter, Ty macerates his grief in alcohol.  From the depths of the bottle screams a voice, howling for vengeance.  His target is a stranger, the woman who drew his wife toward her death.  He doesn't know her, but he’ll find her, and when he does, he will make her pay, for a deal has been struck with Nick’s Russian associates, enslaving her into a life of bondage.  But as Ty moves forward in a cloud of alcohol, he mistakes the wrong woman for his intended victim and now all his plans have gone straight to hell. With his eyes made clear by the stark reality of his mistake, Ty is driven, compelled by remorse and a relentless sense of guilt to make amends and protect Hannah Maguire, the innocent woman whose life he has derailed.  He vows to keep her safe and out of the Russians’ hands, but they’re holding Nick as leverage to force Ty to complete their deal and turn over the girl.  Once again, he must fight to free his brother, miring all three lives in further jeopardy.  But Ty can’t do it all:  Save the girl, his brother and his own soul.  One of them must make the ultimate sacrifice.
The Guest post:  The First Line in My Novel
I was recently asked how I came up with the first line in my novel, The Mistaken: 

“I don’t know how I missed it, that moment I changed, when I somehow became a different man.”

Simply put, that’s the whole premise behind the book, its very essence.  You see, I was inspired by lyrics of a song, Hurricane by Thirty Seconds To Mars.  Those lyrics—“Tell me, would you kill to save a life?  Would you kill to prove you’re right?”—made me wonder what could make a truly good man commit a violent crime, and, if afterwards, he could return to the man he used to be. 

In that first line of the book, the character, Tyler Karras, is looking back and wondering where it all went wrong, how he’d changed into a different man, one he no longer recognized, a monster, an abomination. 

My first drafts didn’t actually start with that line.  It came about as the book evolved and matured, once I truly understood what it was about.  I needed Tyler—who had always thought of himself as a straight arrow who followed every rule—to reflect on his mistake and ponder the moment he betrayed his own values. 

Tyler always insisted on obeying the letter of the law, but when his pregnant wife is killed, the victim of a reckless woman’s greed, and the authorities are unable to prosecute her, he sinks into a deep depression, macerating his guilt in alcohol.  And from the depths of the bottle screams a voice, howling for vengeance.  Better still, he uses the means of his revenge to free his brother from the clutches of San Francisco’s Russian Mafia, promising his quarry to these sex-traffickers as repayment for his brother’s debt. 

Trouble is, Ty mistakes the wrong woman for his intended victim, and all his plans go straight to hell.  He can’t turn over an innocent woman, but the Russians are holding his brother as leverage to force him to do just that.  So he has a decision to make: turn over the girl and save his brother, or do the right thing and save the woman he’s endangered and abandon his brother to the villains he’s tried so long and hard to free him from.           

Realizing the stark reality of his mistake, Tyler strives to make amends, but no matter what he does, someone will have to pay for his error.  He can’t believe he’s sunk so low, and he desperately needs to understand how he could have let himself do the things he’s done.  So that moment, the one where steps over into the dark side, is everything, for if he recognizes it, it may well define whether he truly is a monster or simply a man driven too far, and the answer to that may determine who he chooses to save. 


Buy it Here:   Amazon   Barnes and Noble

BIO:
Nancy Thompson makes her fiction debut with The Mistaken.  She is an interior designer and California transplant, currently living with her husband near Seattle, WA.  
ONLINE LINKS:
Twitter- twitter.com/NancySThompson
a Rafflecopter giveaway

19 comments:

  1. Nancy, first...awesome picture of you! Second...again a plug to tell you how much I enjoyed The Mistaken. Third...ready for the next book!

    Thanks for entertaining me again!

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so very much, Chuck! I should hire you to be my publicist! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I never get tired of reading anything to do with "Mistaken". I think the premise is fascinating. I especially like flawed characters that rise above their mistakes to make things right. Can't wait to find some quiet time so I can read Mistaken. Happy New Year, Nancy. Best in 2013~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how one line can lead to an entire story. One painting sparked the idea for my first book and that scene was the only thing to survive the rewrite.
    Everyone buy The Mistaken - it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joylene & Alex. You're both too sweet to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nancy,

    As promised, cause I'm pretty sweet, well of course, never as cool as Alex and Joylene, but am I bothered. Of course not! As I sob uncontrollably in a darkened room and wonder what I'm doing wrong. Anyway...where was I? Where am I? And hello to the person who does this blog :)

    Of course, you mentioned this to me. That your inspiration came from the song by "Thirty Seconds To Mars". So, is thirty seconds to Mars the time it takes to travel to Mars from earth using inter-dimensional travel or something else?

    Seriously, Nancy, you know I'm wishing you the best with your book and I have been outrageously promoting it. Just wondering. Can I get some kind of award for my comment?

    Oh well, this long, bordering on incoherent, nonsensical, rambling comment shall abruptly end for no apparent reason whatsoever. Kind regards and I shall now return to my shy, humble, not worth reading, blog....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I just love Ty. You made his voice so believable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely one of the best thrillers I've ever read! Action packed but filled with emotional depth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely buying the book! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this from an earlier interview, but I'm so intrigued by how you got the premise of your book...it makes me realize that ideas come from everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting to learn how you came up with the first line and what inspired the story. Yes, ideas can emerge from almost any source!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First lines are so important. When I pick up a book for consideration, I read the first line to get some idea of where a story might be going. A dull first line can be a bad sign. You are moving right along!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out


    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the book. The first line is definitely fitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very inspiring story about the song. I love how dreams and songs influence our words. Nice interview Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I still gotta finish it up. :(

    ReplyDelete